Monday 3 August 2015

What Has Changed Me

One Day - David Nicholls


*takes a deep breath*
There is no way that I can describe the effect this book has had on me. I love it, indeed, more than words can say.
This book follows the lives of two friends, Emma and Dexter, from when they graduate from University right up until their forties, with each chapter describing their life on the 15th of July year after year.
Now I have to admit, this book takes quite a bit of time to get into. Every time a re-read it, I wonder once again why it's my favourite book, and I struggle to persevere through the first few chapters. But once you get about halfway through, you're trapped. You become so grossly obsessed with these two characters' lives that you cannot stop reading.
I still don't really know why this book is so important to me. I know that the first time I read it I loved it because Emma was so similar to me, and her life panned out very similar to how I wanted mine to pan out - with her becoming a teacher, an author and then moving to Paris - but I don't think that's the only reason. I think that it is also because I read it when I had no idea what I wanted to do when I was older (other than teaching or writing) and so the story showed me how much life I had ahead of me and how many opportunities I had open to me. Watching the characters develop and grow just showed me how much you can change as a person and the twists and turns in their lives showed me how you never know what's coming round the corner.
I feel like I'm massively understating the impact this book had on me, but honestly it is one of the best books you can read - especially when you're still young - as it really makes you wonder about your own life.


Sliding Doors


This film explores how one small, seemingly insignificant event can completely change how your life pans out.
There are so many things I love about this film - the storyline and cinematography is so clever, the romance is beautiful and although it seems like such a light-hearted film, its message is amazingly significant and profound.
It shows how anything can change what happens in your life, and whether it be for the better or for worse, you have no idea what will come of it.
Once again, it made me realise that I am only at the start of my life and so many things are waiting to happen. And maybe some will be planned in my fate, and maybe some will be up to these small seemingly inconsequential events, but I have so much ahead of me and so much to look forward to.
It's also just a very cute chick-flick.









John Lewis Never Knowingly Undersold TV Advert 2012


It's beautiful, isn't it?

This is the most stunning advert I have ever watched. I love how beautifully it shows how times have changed, but 'what's important doesn't change'. The romance between the two characters is so perfect and delicate and the cinematography is so enchanting.
I think this advert has changed me because it gave me the first inspiration for the novel I'm writing. The idea of stories running parallel to each other, cross-overs of different time periods and romance between characters who cannot be together due to forces beyond their control really interests me. This advert changed me because it gave me inspiration.






No comments:

Post a Comment